23 March 2010

Feel the Burn

It's an amazing thing to me, just how much my life has changed in the last few months. Especially since nothing has really changed. Are you finding it hard to follow that? Haha-me too. And yet it's true. Nothing has really changed in my daily life- I still have the same work experience, the same school stresses, the same social situation, the same home environment. It's all the same. But it's now got a new perspective. About 6 months ago I went to my first Salsa lesson. Then a week later I went to my second. I have gone pretty much every week since then. In February I attended my first Bachata class with Sergio and Salud, and have since learned some Cha-cha and Merengue. Lately, I have gone out dancing 2 or 3 times a week. I really love the Latin dances. I love that our instructors bring such grace and class to our lessons, and the dancing environment. I'm a much happier person now.
I still don't know if I love dance or if I love the distraction it gives me from certain other things. (I know this a super cheesy way to put it, but...shrugs...) It came to me at a time when I was needing a change in my life. It prepared me to accept a loss. It now amazes me at how far reaching the impact in my life is. I am happier (at least I think so); I have things to look forward to; I have new friends, but I'd go alone if I had to; I am more aware of my body, and feel a difference in little things like how I walk; I don't need to feel guilty for not going to the gym.


From latindancepro.com:



How Many Calories Do I Burn While I Dance?


There is no doubt that dancing is great aerobic exercise, but are you aware of how many calories you’re burning while you’re grooving to your favorite music? You’ll be amazed at how many calories you burn while having fun! Check out the chart below:
STYLE OF DANCE

Approximate Calories Burned Per Hour

100 lb. Dancer

125 lb. Dancer

150 lb. Dancer

175 lb. Dancer

200 lb. Dancer

Disco, Cha Cha Cha, Mambo, Salsa, Cumbia, Merengue
264

330

396

462

528

Samba, Ballet, Fast Dances
288

360

432

504

576

Waltz, Foxtrot, Bachata
Tango, Rhumba, Bolero
144

180

216

252

288

No comments: