10 March 2008

Potential

I Just found this old draft, and I'm not sure why it was never posted, but I'm guessing that I either accidently hit the "save now" button instead of the "publish post," or it is just where I put the quotes for my talk so I could find them when I got home...and I just never got around to officially writing up a blog entry on it. Either way, I'm going to post this now, as is, and you can think about it and how it applies to your life, and what changes you can make individually to progress. Because that's why we are here, isnt it?
D & C 58: 26-27
26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is acompelled in all things, the same is a bslothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

27 Verily I say, men should be aanxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
When I was given this scripture as my assignment, I started like most people do: by reading the scriputre and then the footnotes. I then proceeded to research the topic looking for other thought's and interpretations. In verse 26 the first footnote is Compelled: "For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is acompelled in all things..." The footnote says TG Initiative. And since I was using the scriptures on the church website, I was able to click on the TG reference for Initiative which pulled up "Temptation: Temptation is a test of a person's ability to choose good instead of evil. It is an enticement to sin and follow Satan instead of God. Part of the experience of this life is to learn to overcome temptation and to choose right over wrong. Modern revelation indicates that Satan does not have power to tempt little children until they begin to be accountable for their actions (see D&C 29:47). This life was given as a time in which God's children could learn to use their agency to overcome temptation and to choose of their own free will to follow Jesus Christ." Why would we think it was ok to wait for directions in all things? That is what we had in the pre-existance, before we were sent her to the Earth to gain both our bodies and experience. Our Father in Heaven wanted to know what we would do if we were given complete freedom to chose, so he allowed us to come and learn.

Slothful: D&C 107: 100 (99-100). 100 He that is aslothful shall not be counted bworthy to stand, and he that learns not his duty and shows himself not approved shall not be counted worthy to stand. Even so. Amen. TG Apathy. TG Laziness.
Anxiously: TG Dedication. TG Diligence. TG Good Works. TG Industry. TG Zeal.

"…Compelled in all things… "à Why are we here? Aside from receiving our bodies, we are here to give us the opportunity to choose for ourselves…if we wait to be commanded, we could have just stayed in God’s presence.
"Slothful and not a wise servant"à to grow and learn how to be independent
"Anxiously engaged"à Happily
"Good causeà
Own free willà
"bring to pass much righteousness"à we are commanded to be righteousà make your won little Zion" –Holland
Alma 7:23à abound in good works"à I am grateful for: I will serve by: (Alma 5:26


Why Do We Serve? Elder Dallin H. Oaks
As I contemplated my own calling and the callings of millions of others already in service, I was led to consider this question: Why do we serve?
Service is an imperative for those who worship Jesus Christ. To followers who were vying for prominent positions in his kingdom, the Savior taught, "Whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant." (Matt. 20:27.) On a later occasion, he spoke of ministering to the needs of the hungry, the naked, the sick, and the imprisoned. He concluded that teaching with these words: "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matt. 25:40.)
In latter-day revelation the Lord has commanded that we "succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees." (D&C 81:5.
6 Reasons for service:
Some may serve for hope of earthly reward.
motivated by a personal desire to obtain good companionship.
Some may serve out of fear of punishment
Other persons may serve out of a sense of duty or out of loyalty to friends or family or traditions
One such higher reason for service is the hope of an eternal reward.
"Charity is the pure love of Christ."
"Many believe that for service to be meaningful it should consist of having elaborate plans and forming a committee. Although many of these worthwhile projects help, much of the service needed in the world today relates to our day-to-day associations with each other. Often we find these opportunities within the confines of our own home, neighborhood, and ward. "
"Sharing the gospel message is one of the most rewarding ways we can render service to those who are not of our faith." -- Michael J. Teh, "Out of Small Things," Liahona, Nov 2007, 35–37

No comments: