13 January 2009

Reaching for Something.

A good friend introduced me to the world of the 6-Word Memoir. She also invited us to come up with our own memoir for 2008. In her comments I shared a few...then, shockingly, I submitted one to the site. I am not a story teller, but some how a 6-word story is less intimidating...
Anyway, I like what I came up with, because I have high expectations for myself; but I often fall short. So I generally avoid making goals and plans because I don't want to fail, and if there are no expectations, there is no failure, right? Well, this year I've finally started to accept that it's okay to have goals you don't necessarily achieve because it is the journey that matters, and as long as you are growing you have succeeded at something. I have wonderful friends who motivate me, and help me. Thanks to you all! Last year was interesting to say the least, full of the drama I generally avoid, but I learned that I loved forgetting myself in helping another climb the mountains of life. And now that the summit is reached, I look down to see what I climbed was really just a hill, but it's something I want to do again. So I'm off to find something to climb.
I've come a long way this past year. I've got a long way to go still. I'm learning how to do it better.

1 comment:

Liz the Poet said...

You are so right about goals and failure. I have a problem with that too. But, you are also right about it being the journey that matters. How easily we forget that!

Thankfully, we're surrounded by good friends to travel down the path together...